Saturday, September 15, 2012

Almost Ready To Go Back In


The other day my buddy Matt (the machinist) redid my first adapter attempt. Here is a video of the nice true adapter spinning up:
I supported the transmission in a garbage can so the input shaft was pointing up and set the motor (bolted to the adapter plate) onto the transmission to trace the adapter plate out. A few minutes of drill press time and a lot of sawing and here is the result:
I spun it up to check for strange noises and all is well.

However...much to my dismay, I realized something today. This motor has a gear on the end opposite the transmission, and this end has an exposed bearing. It appears that this end was originally the drive end and was immersed in the oil of some sort of gearset. You can see the o-ring that sealed oil from leaking out. There is probably an oil seal on the motor shaft on the armature side of the bearing.
I have already come up with an end cap to seal it off so it is not exposed to the elements, but I need to figure out how to keep this bearing lubed. One way is to fill it up with grease and every once in a while remove the end cap to put more grease in. The other option is to make a small oil fill plug on the end cap that maintains a level of oil just above the bottom of the bearing.

What to do...what to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment